Monday, September 25, 2006

more unfinished projects and the handcrafters who supply me

I want to get all of my partially completed items out in the open. I keep thinking it will force me to finish them. I have to stop starting new things. I am getting more and more convinced I have a form of Knitter's ADD.

These socks are very special. They have had their picture taken with The Yarn Harlot. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee looks lovely in the photo as does her sock. I am not so pleasing. I will save you the horror. (If you are very curious as to what I look like, you can see me on the Yarn Harlot's blog, her visit to Ann Arbor, I am the whole person on the very left of her picture of the audience.) My neice, S, and I went to see her in August. (S's thigh is all that made it in the photo.) I will tell you more about that day another time. Except to say that we thoroughly enjoyed her and all the other knitters. Don't you think Stephanie is the Erma Bombeck of knitters?
Back to the socks, the yarn is lucious and comforting. It is some of GypsyKnit's hand-dyed cotton/lycra blend in the River Rock colors. I am just doing a simple stocking stitch cuff down pattern with round heel and flap. The yarn is very easy to work with (no splitting) and the colors gently flow from one into the other.


This is the Forest Canopy Shawl by Susan Lawrence. Her instructions are very clear and I seem to be moving along. The yarn is from Fearless Fibers, Superwash Merino Wool, colorway is Shades of Teal. Another joy to work with yarn, soft and scrumptious. I've not had any splitting. I am using my Addi Natura needles. The lifeline was placed after 3 repeats of the body pattern. I am enjoying this pattern and the yarn.


These socks are a gift for a friend, there is already one done. Those are Comfort Zone Needles. They are very flexible. The colors will prevent me from losing them and make it easier to keep track of my stitches. The SockBag is from a swap with trek. It is just the sweetest thing. Helps put a feminine touch when I am knitting the masculine socks. The bag is very well made. I have another item from the swap, but it is a gift, so I'm keeping it hidden. I am very happy with the swap. trek and I both have a thing for the BYM needles. I will show you my Bloodwood dpns when I cast on another pair of socks.



This is the project I have been keeping by my desk at work. This is a faroese shawl "Stora Dimun Shawl" from Folk Shawls. I am using Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool. It is soft and rustic all at once. Perfect for the pattern. Using Inox gray circulars. I will have to bring this home soon, as the bottom edge is almost done and I will need to be able to focus closely on the pattern for the lace border.



I'm looking for a project meter that I can use. I hope it will help encourage me to keep on with the items that are currently on needles. I have to get some done, so I can complete additional projects I am committed to do.
One more week of lectures, an exam to write and I'll only have one full time job, so there will be more time to knit.

2 comments:

gypsyknits said...

I do think Stephanie is the Bombeck of knitters. Thank you for the comment on my pink mitten and the wonderful things you say about my dyed yarn. Unfortunately my blog was neglected, I intend to spend a little more time on it now. Re: knitpick needles-I think needles are an individual preference. Personally I like pointy tips vs round tips so I like the knitpicks needles. I like the join on the option set and I absolutely LOVE the DPNS. I love watching your WIP. Keep up the good work. I must take pics of my WIP and blog too. Maybe I'll be inspired. Keep Knitting, kathy

KnitterBunny said...

Hi Jan! Send me an email and I'll add you to the Dutchicans contributors.